Friday, August 3, 2007

Moving on

The movers say that my stuff left California on July 31; two months after they packed it up and promised it would be on its way to Europe.

I've been told that it will all arrive in Berlin in mid August. Yeah right. Right now my container is probably at some truck stop, and the driver is smoking a Kent on my couch after eating some greasy diner food. I'm lucky if it arrives before September.

Never believe what the moving company tells you. This industry should be better regulated. I have moved so often, and each time I can list the number of ways the company has screwed up the move: damaged items, underestimated tonnage, extra fees at receiving end, drunk moving guys... And I have friends who tell the same stories.

So how will my items travel? To the east coast and then to Hamburg? To Long Beach and then through the Panama Canal and then to Hamburg? I'm not sure.

And then how long will it sit in Customs? Will they charge me extra import tariffs?

And will my things arrive broken? scratched? mildewed? Will the Germans make me pay additional fees not covered in the US moving fees? Will they put the legs on the chairs and tables they so carefully removed and assured me would all arrive in the delivery? Will they unpack the stuff they wrapped and wrapped and take away the boxes and paper like they promised?

I miss my bed. I miss my kitchen stuff, my clothes. I want to be settled at home.

No comments: