Thursday, August 2, 2007

Lost in Translation

As you know, I do not speak German. But I work and live in Germany, so there are times where I need the help of a translation tool. I use Babelfish which offers translations from/to many languages.

Everyday I receive emails that are sent to everyone at work. At my old agency these 'public mailings' would contain emails where people were asking for yesterday's Wall Street Journal, trying to sell an Ikea couch, or letting everyone know that the parking cops were marking tires on the main street outside the office.

Here the 'public emails' are much the same. Here is an example of an email I received and translated using Babelfish. The translations are far from perfect and often pretty hilarious, but I usually get the gist of what they are saying. Do you?

'Holgers small sister (a refrigerator) contained today and only today all your food, which does not weggeschmissen is. Since we the other refrigerator times abtauen must. For the future it remains however thereby: No food into the beverage refrigerators. Oh and again a small note: Our refrigerator was times again super dirty and it is absolutely eklig to remove smudgy sticky Dressinglachen. Watches out please for your things better and should run out nevertheless once somewhat from you, please it makes away!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is only fair if for everyone its own dirt distant.'

huh?

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

You're going to have to break down and learn German. Either that or continue hearing about people's sisters who are refigerators. :)

When you do, here's the best international, online dictionary I've ever found. I use it all the time. jne

http://www.wordreference.com/