Monday, November 19, 2007

Acculturalization

Where am I when I can listen to NPR, conduct work everyday in English, stay in touch with old friends from my childhood? Can I be in Berlin, living abroad?

Why, asks my Polish hausmeister in German, am I living in Berlin? Why indeed.

Things I must do:
1) learn German. Sure, I can joke around with my hausmeister and debrouiller at Ikea, but I am not very good at the simple stuff. I speak shitty pigeon German. Its funny, but stupid.
2) Make more German friends (outside of work)
3) Get a German boyfriend (which will help me with point 1)
4) join a club (Muay Thai?) or gym to build community

To be fair, I have a really nice community here. There are the dog friends, the cafe friends, the work friends the old friends. I feel more a part of Berlin than I ever did in Amsterdam (or Moscow or Shanghai...)

I am really happy here in Berlin. It's the right place for right now.

So maybe the 'why are you here' question can wait on its answer. I'm figuring that out.

No comments: