Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mother Knows Best

I think my mother might be the only one that reads this blog, so I am going to write her a letter here:

Dear Mom,
Hallo from Berlin! Diego and I are enjoying the fine fall weather. It's been gorgeous and sunny here in Mitte. Sometimes I feel like I should be a student again: the smell of fall, with the changing leaves and chill in the air, makes me think of school. Not college, because then I would have to smell the subway, taxi exhaust, and pretzels. But school. I guess anytime from when I wa 5-18. Remember those days? I'll bet you are have a nice fall in S (New England suburb).

Today I had a real stupid moment:. I misread my itinerary and missed my flight to Leeds. I read my German itinerary several times and understood that the flight was leaving at 6:45 am, and that I should be there by 6:15. Well, I transposed the numbers and the flight actually left at 6:15-- I was supposed to be there at 5:45am.

I haven't missed a flight since I went to visit Carol Farmer in 1992. Big Guy rewarded me for doing so well in summer school with a long weekend in Boca. I was so exhausted from my exams that I checked into my flight, bought a Rolling Stone, sat at my gate while they called my flight (and it departed). I looked up from an article about The Boss (I don't even really like Bruce Springsteen) and realized that I missed my flight, even though I was sitting right there.

The ticket counter people laughed with me at my stupidity and gave me a business class flight down to Florida for the next day. It turned out well in the end.

On the positive side, I found out that it takes only 20 minutes to get to Tegel that early in the morning from my apartment.

I was able to do my briefing over the phone. Hopefully the film turned out alright. The producer called today and said everything went well.

I will never misread a German itinerary again.

Yesterday was 8 years, and tomorrow is Big Guy's birthday. Even though I love this time of year, it's always a bit sad. How are you?

Alright, that's it for now. Miss you and can't wait for your visit.

xxoo,
Love,
Aph

No comments: